LAKE TEMAGAMI ATLAS    Sandy Inlet (Draft)                                  UPDATED 8.10.05

Lake Temagami Atlas: Sandy Inlet map

Camp Wanapitei  This site was first settled by the colourful Father Charles Paradis in 1891 as a small retreat. Later, he started an orphanage. It was abandoned in 1924. Camp Wanapitei, a youth camp, moved here in 1931 and the adult chateau was built in 1933.

Ferguson Trail  This hiking trail was co-operatively constructed in the early 90's as part of an extensive trail system envisioned by Hap Wilson and Brian Back for the Temagami backcountry. The Ferguson Trail extends between the Red Squirrel Road to the Kokoko portage on Upper Kokoko Bay, but is not in good condition south of the lower cutoff to the Hush Hush Trail.

Peshabo's Point The Peshabo family are believed to have moved here about 1890 after they sold to Father Paradis the rights to their cabins and farm at the mouth of the Red Squirrel River (today Wanapitei). The site was in use until about the 1940s.  

Red Squirrel River   Also known as the lower Anima Nipissing River.

Red Squirrel Road  Constructed from Net Lake to Red Squirrel Lake in 1965 by Johns-Manville. The company's primary objective for the road, then called the Johns-Manville Road, was to log the jack pine on the sand flats north of Ferguson Bay. The flats were clear-cut and jack pine was hauled by road to Highway 11. By 1970, the road was extended for pine across the Sharp Rock Portage. The road was closed to public access until about 1972.  From then on Wanapitei and the public began using the road. When plans were announced in 1985 to extend the road it became a rallying point for environmental preservation

Kokoko Sideroad  The road was constructed along with the Johns-Manville Road. Any red and white pine on Johns-Manville limits was taken by the Kokoko sideroad to Roko Landing on Ferguson Bay. From here Milne Lumber boomed the logs to the Turtle Lake jack ladder and floated them to its sawmill near the town of Temagami.

Chateau   A magnificent two-story log building constructed as a guest lodge with 11 bedrooms, living room, second-floor balconies and kitchen. The Finnish-style building was built of poplar logs in 1933 as an adult lodge for Camp Wanapitei and is now an Ontario Heritage Building.

 

Photo: Wanapitei

You Can Help Us

We have attempted to include the most up-to-date and accurate information, but conditions change. We would be grateful for any corrections or suggestions for improvement. 

   Home   Rupert Battle   Rupert River   Temagami   Che-Mun

    Forum   Crees   Camps   Canoes   Keewaydin Way   Search   About   Contact Us

Maps and information herein are not intended for navigational use, and are not represented to be correct in every respect. 
All pages intended for reference use only, and all pages are subject to change with new information and without notice. 
The author/publisher accepts no responsibility or liability for use of the information on these pages. 
Wilderness travel and canoeing possess inherent risk. 
 It is the sole responsibility of the paddler and outdoor traveler to determine whether he/she is qualified for these activities.
Copyright  2000-2014 Brian Back.  All rights reserved.
We do not endorse and are not responsible for the content of any linked document on an external site.