The village of Temagami (looking north) in its 1950s heyday. The Ontario Northland Boat Lines terminal is at the far left. The Petro-Canada station sits there today. The Minawassi Hotel (large building in the trees) is behind. In the far-right background is the train station with the old coal tower.
As this period pre-dated both the Mine Road (Lake Temagami Access Road today) and widespread motorboat ownership, the boat lines were the primary means for travel up the lake. So the village had large numbers of autos parked in it during the summer.
Alex MacLean of Haileybury, widely regarded as the dean of northern Ontario photographers, loved Temagami. Many of his photos survive as postcards, like this one, that chronicle the golden tourism age from 1910 until his death in 1959.
c. 1955. Photo courtesy of Stevens family collection.
Home Rupert Battle Rupert River Temagami Che-Mun
Forum Crees Camps Canoes Keewaydin Way Search About Contact Us
Maps and information herein are not intended for navigational use, and are not represented to be correct in every respect.
All pages intended for reference use only, and all pages are subject to change with new information and without notice.
The author/publisher accepts no responsibility or liability for use of the information on these pages.
Wilderness travel and canoeing possess inherent risk.
It is the sole responsibility of the paddler and outdoor traveler to determine whether he/she is qualified for these activities.
Copyright © 2000-2015 Brian Back. All rights reserved.
We do not endorse and are not responsible for the content of any linked document on an external site.