The wooden landing barge has an unusual cargo: fall supplies for a winter logging camp, including horses and hay. Possibly it was destined for an A.B. Gordon camp at the north end of the lake.
The barge, docked at the village with the ML Aubrey Cosens and highway behind, likely was World War II surplus and owned by the copper mine on Temagami Island.
Alex MacLean of Haileybury, widely regarded as the dean of northern Ontario photographers, loved Temagami. Many of his photos survive as postcards that chronicle the golden tourism age from 1910 until his death in 1959.
c. 1955. Photo courtesy of Haileybury Heritage Museum.
Home Rupert Battle Rupert River Temagami Che-Mun
Forum Crees Camps Canoes Keewaydin Way Search About Contact Us
Maps and information herein are not intended for navigational use, and are not represented to be correct in every respect.
All pages intended for reference use only, and all pages are subject to change with new information and without notice.
The author/publisher accepts no responsibility or liability for use of the information on these pages.
Wilderness travel and canoeing possess inherent risk.
It is the sole responsibility of the paddler and outdoor traveler to determine whether he/she is qualified for these activities.
Copyright © 2000-2015 Brian Back. All rights reserved.
We do not endorse and are not responsible for the content of any linked document on an external site.